Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Dork Review: Sucker Punch

As promised, here's my review on Sucker Punch, the latest film to come out from Zack Snyder. It's been a couple days since I've seen it, the delay due to Ad Astra prep (more on that later) and so I could have time to mull it over.

First off, I enjoyed this movie. In fact, I'd put my enjoyment of it right up there with Battle: Los Angeles, which makes sense since they are both action films. Sucker Punch is definitely the more thoughtful of the two.

What I do find surprising is how viciously this flick has been savaged by the critics. Every person I know who's gone and seen it has loved it. Of course, just about everyone I've talked too that has seen it has been male, so that might be part of it. Yes, the film does have pretty girls in skimpy outfits, but if you look past that it's a story of a young woman in a terrible situation retreating into a fantasy world where she has greater control. A fantasy world where she is the primary mover, which can be seen to bleed out into the real world a bit.

Add on top of that the mythic undertones running throughout the film. Recently I've been reading The Hero of 1000 Faces and it's fascinating, at least to me, to pick up on some of the items raised in the book showing up in a movie. It just demonstrates how much modern movies have replaced mythology, and how some story elements are universal, whether in film or in print.

The ending of the movie lives up to it's title. I don't want to ruin it for you, but it's enough to say that I did find it powerful, and even a little unexpected.

I recommend going and seeing Sucker Punch. So far I've seen three movies by Zack Snyder. I own two of them and plan to add this movie to my collection when it comes out on Blu-ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment